Tuesday, January 29, 2013

It`s those moments that make all the hard times worth it.



Hello Mother and Father! I hope you`re enjoying your sunday! I had to wake up early this morning because we`re catching an early bus to Kushiro for a district activity and District training meeting from the Zone Leaders in Obihiro. So I probably won`t get to read your email but that`s ok. I`ll just let you know how things are going down here in Kitami :)

First of all, It`s 6:15 AM and it`s freezing cold! The weather tricked us for one day where it went up to the positive degrees and we had hope for a lot of snow and ice melt, but then it exploded into a huge snow storm! It`s been snowing for the past 3 days and there`s about 80 centimeters of new snow. But I`m keeping nice and warm with my winter gear and I`m always using houkairou (hand warmers--sounds a lot like Hokkaido :P).

As for news, Our investigator has finished all the lessons and he is going to get an interview from the District leader this thursday for baptism! His testimony is still in the growing stages, but his intentions seem right :) Yay! Actually he`s perty shy and such, but he came to church yesterday and he was a completely different person. People would come up to talk to him and he would talk back and tell them stories and really got into some good conversations with the ward. After church he ran around with some or the most adorable little kids in the world and played with them in the church :D Ureshii!!! (happy!) It is so amazing to see the change he`s gone through until now. He used to be a person that doesn`t really leave the house at all, but now he`s coming to SA (single adult) activities and church and leaves the house a lot. He`s just become a lot more of an open person and he seems a lot more happy when he meets with us now :) It`s so amazing to see the changes in his life and see him become more happy :) It`s those moments that make all the hard times worth it. More often than not there are a lot of hard times and some disappointments in missionary work, but those things all pass from your mind when moments like this come along. You truly do only remember the good times.I love being a missionary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDD

By the way, my ward is awesome! I love the Kitami Branch! They are small, but strong :) Our most frequent team up just became our Dendo Shunin (the person who helps the missionaries and meets with us to chosei (...plan?) Dendo (missionary activities)). Wow, my english is going fast haha. He is my trainer`s first convert and he`s become such a solid member. He`s going to do great things for the church in Japan I can tell. He`s going to go on a mission soon, and I`m really excited for him!

As for awkward moments or funny stories I`ll see what I can say.

The awkward moment when you knock on a door and a person comes and starts to talk to you through the door saying "Who is it?" Then you say "Hello! I`m El..." and they cut you off by saying "what business do you have?" and I say "Yes, well I`m a..." and then they cut you off by saying again "who is it?!" and so you say "A missionary!!!!" as fast as you can before they can cut you off again :P haha.

The Awkward moment where you have a dream and sit up in bed and turn to your companion and ask him in a loud voice "Dou omoimasuka? (what do you think?)" and your voice is so loud that you wake both you and him up at 1:00 in the morning. Then you feel embarrassed so you try to explain to him still half asleep in a different language that it was a dream and he should just go to bed, but he just stares back at you because he has no idea what you`re saying because you`re both still half asleep, so to avoid further awkwardness you just turn the other way, lay back down and go to bed. :P

The funny moment when you`re walking to the church after that same night is over and your companion turns to you and says, "Why on earth did you wake me up at 1 in the morning and what were you saying to me?" :P

These were my experiences in just the past two days actually :P haha. It`s been an interesting week ;)

Alright, lastly I have a request. The food we make as missionaries isn`t really 5 star stuff if you know what I mean, so I was wondering if you could send me some easy recipes and instructions of how to make some easy things that would only take about 30 minutes or so. As for specifics, our fried rice is terrible and I miss my mother`s fried rice, so could you tell me how to make it :D thank you! 3 or 4 recipes would be nice :) And also easy to make cookies or snacks or something for us and investigators and ward members would be nice if you have time. 
P.S. The Cake was delicious and I loved it! Thank you so much for the birthday cake!!! :D

Tell Jill I love her and am praying for her and let everyone else know I love them as well!
And lastly, I LOVE MY MOM AND DAD SO MUCH!!! THEY ARE THE BEST PARENTS IN THE WORLD!!! I was reading in D&C 121:36-46 and in the last verse it talks about posterity and joy flowing unto you forever if you preside in righteousness, and I got a new insight. I have a strong desire to bring love and honor to my parents "without compulsory means" forever because of the love with which Mom and Dad presided with. I saw in my minds eye my mother and father as glorified beings, even now just upon the earth I was able to remember the glory and love radiating from both of you :) so thank you. I had another deep thought that I won`t go into to much detail in, but God has trusted you to nourish the body and spirit of his children while on this earth, and because of how lovingly you presided God will have no problem trusting you with the power to create your own literal Spirit children when the time comes. I`m sure he will be there to give you advice as well :) 
Anyways, thank you both for the love you`ve always shown. I can feel it even all the way over here in freezing cold Kitami :P haha.

Ok, well I better be off! Love you so much! See you!!!
Bye Bye!!!

Elder Mitchell Perry Sotto

No comments: