Wednesday, April 24, 2013

children hang from your limbs and chant "dame da yo"(That's bad)


wow, seeing those pictures of Grandma Morgan was really natsukashii (...there is no word in english...nostalgic?). I remember going over to her house and whenever she would get a little frustrated she would always cuss haha. It always made me laugh :P Thank you for letting me know :) It doesn`t make me depressed at all. She lived to a good old age and loved everyone all the time :) I`m sure she`s just as bright and happy on the other side of the veil now.
 
I bet that`s really exciting for Matt and Jill! I hope they find the job they want! Are they looking for a job in Boise?
Evelyn is talking!? I can`t even imagine :P
We walked into the church yesterday and there are a lot of kids that run around after church and play together, so when we walked in they all ran towards us and started clinging onto my legs and arms and I calmly said "watashi wa senkyoushi desu. sore wa dame da yo." (I`m a missionary, that`s bad). Then they all started chanting at the same time "dame da yo...dame da yo" while swinging on my arms and clinging to my legs. There were 4 of them and it was honestly really adorable...and a little weird haha. My companion took a picture :P It made me miss playing with little kids so much! It`s too bad there are so many legal problems with it now a days though. The Branch here is so small that everyone knows everyone and everyone is comfortable with everyone. The kids will just go up and sit on anyones lap and everyone knows everyone by name. It`s only about 40 people here in Kitami I think. I really love how close everyone feels. It`s really like a big family :)
 
It`s pretty interesting working in a Tri-panionship. Being the senior is very interesting though, especially since both my companions are older than me (22 and 25). But we are getting along well :)
I remember my trainer saying he just wants to dendo (do missionary work) all the time, and I wanted to be able to say that too as a bean, but because of the struggles with the language and adjusting to new life situations I just didn`t haha. Now that I have the language down more and I`m more used to everything I feel the same way, but this transfer has been interesting. One of my companions has very different ideas and styles and all around a completely different personality than I do, so we`re trying a lot of different styles that I don`t understand and trying to get everyone`s opinions in and what not...It`s been very interesting being in a 3 person companionship, but It`s been going really well lately :) I`m very grateful for the opportunity. I think we`re starting to get the hang of it now :) And I do love my companions. There is never a dull moment up here haha.
 
I`m so excited to see beautiful camp morrison again! I definitely want to go back up with you dad (if you`re still in the same job). There are a lot of fond memories up there. Remember when we hiked up to that lake for a couple hours? That was fun :) And I remember you coming back at 12 at night or 1 in the morning and both of us sitting down and reading the Book of Mormon for a little bit. Good times :) Even if you`re not still at camp we should go hiking again sometime!
 
I`m understand now why everyone in Hokkaido was so happy when the Cherry Blossoms came out and Golden Week started when I got here for the first time. I didn`t realize how taihen (hard) the winters are for everyone who lives here! It`s pretty tsurai (painful) sometimes. But when spring comes, everyone just lights up and gets waaaaaay happier :) That is always a good conversation starter when talking to people on the streets and around houses. "mou sugu haru desu ne!" (You excited for spring!?). They always give a good laugh at that and answer back :)
 
That article was actually pretty useful! I learned the word Sakoku (National isolation) 2 days ago! It became good practice :) I never thought I woulod see it after that day though. One of the young men in the ward said they don`t use it all that much. But now I`m sure it will stick :) Thanks dad!
 
Well, here are my awkward and awesome moments of the week.
 
The Awkward moment when someone goes on about how sexy your grandma (Sotto) is (she saw a picture).
The Awkward moment when a member`s friend offers you ramen and then stares at you while you eat it because they`ve never seen an American try to slurp ramen.
The Awesome moment when that member`s friend agrees to get baptized on the same day as the member did 6 years ago!
The Awkward moment when small children hang from your limbs and chant "dame da yo" over and over  and over again haha.
 
Ok, well that`s about all I think. Thanks for writing! Good luck with the moving and everything! I love you!
 
Elder Sotto

No comments: